Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Why I am a “Writer”

I’m unemployed (or funemployed as some of my friends have been calling it lately), and all that I want to do is write. I realize how impractical that is, and by no means am I just going to stop looking for a job in order to pursue a writing career, but when it comes down to it, there are very few jobs that I’ve come across in my search that I would actually want to do. Then, of the few that do look appealing, I have to live with the fact that I am usually grossly unqualified and have no experience in those fields. Thus I am still unemployed, not to mention a little bit stubborn about where I work and what I do.

I couple of weeks ago I wrote a blog for The Soundless Heard about how we are all uniquely positioned to do various things based on where God has us specifically. Now I’m not saying that I am currently uniquely positioned to be a writer, in all honesty when I start school a week from now, I probably won’t even have time to be a writer anymore, but the truth is that I cannot seem to shake the feeling that this is what I need to be doing right now. I love writing. I love the feeling of getting my thoughts out of my head and on to paper (or digital paper as it is these days). But I think most of all, I love the thought that people are able to read what I have to say and can react to it. It doesn’t even bother me if they react negatively, I might write something down then change my mind based information that someone else brings to my attention. I view writing as just another form of dialogue between me and whoever else wants to read it and respond.

I don’t know if anything will actually come of my trying to pretend to be a writer. If it does, then it is due to the grace of God. All I know is that I really enjoy it, so I am going to keep pursuing it…as well as real employment.

No comments:

Post a Comment