Friday, August 21, 2015

New School Year : New Ministry

My Friends,

As many of you know (and those who don't soon will), the beginning of this new school year brings a season of change for Heather and me. If you know us, then you know that this is something that we are actually quite used to. In fact, I have come to learn that change is one of the few constant things about life, and as such is to be embraced and not something to hide from, it will always find you.

I spent this last year serving with Cru, a ministry to college students on college campuses across the world. I served primarily at The University of California; San Diego, but made regular appearances at San Diego State University as well and on occasion could be found at Mesa College, one of our local community colleges. Serving with Cru was a great experience. I was a part of a great team and was able to settle use my gifts in a way that I had not yet felt the freedom to use them. Yet in the past couple of months, the winds of change have begun to blow.

One of my best friends from college had been working for Young Life, Christian missions organization with an emphasis on camp ministry, for the last five or so years and had begun to see the need for college ministry to be happening in East San Diego County (or East County as we like to call it). So when he and I got together one day, we began to dream of what a college ministry could look like in an area that is often overlooked, but prime for ministry to thrive.

Our dreaming has lead to me accepting a new position in East County, and I am excited to say that this Fall, I will be starting to serve with Young Life, bringing Young Life College to campuses that have had very little interaction with the Gospel.

It will be my focus and task to establish Young Life on these three campuses and see college students from various backgrounds and with various goals reached for Christ, and sent to reach others.

In the scope of my vision:

  • I see college students from East County presented with the truth of Christ and giving their lives to it.
  • I see college students excited about giving their summers to serve at one of Young Life's many camps across the country.
  • I see college men and women seeing the need to invest their lives for the sake of others and giving of their time to mentor local high school kids.
  • I see a legacy being born in East County where college kids are eager and expectant to see God move in their lives and to feel driven to give back. 

San Diego County is a young and vibrant area of our country, and the students that come out of our colleges and universities are well prepared to not only impact the lives of the people immediately around them, but often go on and make a positive impact in the world around them.

This is a good change for Heather and me, and I believe that this is going to be a good change for East County San Diego. 

Thanks for believing in the work that we do!

With Gratitude,

Scott McGhee
Young Life College Coordinator
East County, San Diego

P.S. If you would like to be a part of seeing our ministry to college students in East County take off, please consider giving to our efforts. I am looking to raise $2400 in new monthly support as I get started with this new ministry.



Click the button that says staff member’s name and enter McGhee into the box when prompted. 

Select the my name from the list

Fill out the form for you gift and follow the instructions.

Once you get to the “Gift Summary” page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the “Complete Transaction” button.

No comments:

Post a Comment